Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The battle began...

I will never forget that phone call. It was a normal day at work, back in May of 2006. My mom called me, as usual. I just figured she wanted to talk. She said have you got a minute, I need to talk to you about something. I knew immedieately something was wrong. She then tells me that my Grandmother has just been diagnosed with endometrial cancer. My heart literally fell to the floor. My Grandmother was very special to me, and I loved her dearly! I thought, NO! Cancer doesn't affect us, this can't be true. I just remember being in a daze the rest of the night.
At this point, we really didn't know much information. She was scheduled for a complete hysterectomy at the end of June. Right smack in the middle of our pre-planned Florida vacation. Of course, we were all for canceling the trip, or rescheduling. Grandma being who she was, made sure we went on our trip. She told us she would be fine, and there was absolutely no reason why we should go sit for hours while she was in surgery. We did come home a day early, which was the day she was having surgery. Needless to say, that was an extremely nerve-racking drive home. The trip wasn't your average relaxing Florida getaway either. We didn't know what to think. We only knew she would get the results of the stage and all the details (that we really didn't want to know) in just a few hours.
Finally, we get a report. Only to find news we didn't want to hear. Grandma's cancer was in stage 3 c. Those of you who don't know, that is pretty bad. In some cases, it means almost no hope. I chose to be optimistic.
This news was devastating to me. My biggest concern was how fragile my Grandma always seemed to me. She was very strong willed, and I knew she could put up a good fight, but I also knew how weak her precious body was. I knew she couldn't withstand chemo and radiation.
My heart was literally breaking for her. Little did I know, things were only going to get worse.
The surgery was done at Peidmont hospital in Atlanta, where she stayed 11 days after the operation. He small intestine didn't want to wake up like it is supposed too. When it started showing signs of activity, they released her.
We took her home to take care of her, where she just didn't seem like she was getting better. Each day she really appeared to get weaker. on Friday, Three days after she was released, my mom was staying the night with her, becuase she was so sick. Mom called me at work to let me know she was calling the ambulance because she was throwing up green bile. Not a good sign at all. The EMT's arrived just casually walking in, asking questions. They assumed mom just wanted someone to transport her to the emergency room, because she was unable to. Mom explained to them what was going on, they were like ok, we will take a look at her, but I doubt she is throwing up green bile. Just as they get in the room, she throws up some green bile right in front of them. Boy did that get them moving. She was transported to Douglas General, where they proceeded to do numerous tests and scans. After an exhausting 3 hours in the emergency room (it is now 4 a.m.) the doctors inform us that her small bowell has gone to sleep. In other words it is not working. They wanted to transport her back to Peidmont where they had all her information, and surgery records. My Dad stayed with her while we went home to get a few hours of sleep before returning to work.
Let me describe her appearance to you, so you can understand this whole experience a little bit more. She was extremely pale, had absolutely no energy. She couldn't even hold her head up. She was also in a good bit of pain.
They transported her to Peidmont and got her settled. She seemed to be doing a little bit better. Still exptremely weak, but they talked like things would be fine.
Sunday afternoon Me, Mom, and my Sister when to Peidmont and spent some of the afternoon with her. Like I said before, she seemed ok, just very lethargic.
Monday morning the hospital calls Grandpa to let him know she wasn't doing very well. Mom, Dad, and Grandpa headed to Peidmont. They told us to stay at home, thinking things would get under control. I get a phone call around 11 saying we really needed to head up there, that she just wasn't doing good. So I called work, and headed to the hospital with my 3 younger siblings. I was a nervous wreck, not really knowing what to expect. I ran into a bush backing out of my driveway, knocking my left side mirror nearly off. I know I scared them half to death. I nearly killed us several times driving to the hospital.
By the time we got there (within 35 mins) they had already admitted her into the ICU, for cardiac arrest and congestive heart failure. My mom and dad were waiting for us. They all had this look of not knowing on their faces. They wanted each of us to go in the room and just talk to her just in case things went for the worst. So I did. We all did.
(this is so painful to write about, even though it has been 2.5 years ago. I apologize if it is hard to follow) She didn't look too terrible yet, they were hooking her up to machines, but she was still coherent. She was able to talk to us some, she was just extremely weak. I can remember thinking, this is it. I just don't see how she can make it.
I remember walking out of the ICU area, and just being surrounded by white walls. I leaned up against the wall, and I just cried. I cried to my Lord Jesus. I told him to please not take her away. I kept saying, I can't live without her, please, please don't let this be it.
He wouldn't take her yet, but little did I know how much I would regret that prayer.
My Grandmother's battle with cancer, caused me to take a huge turn in my relationship with God.

No comments: